Howard Kogan - Champion/1st Prize - 9.50 average score (12 Possible)
Danielle Pouliot - Honorable Mention/2nd Prize - 9.33 average score (12 Possible)
Kareem Robertson - Honorable Mention/3rd Prize - 8.66 average score (12 Possible)
Howard Kogan - Champion/$225 Prize (57 Points) *
Danielle Pouliot - Honorable Mention/$115 Prize (56 Points) *
Kareem Robertson - Honorable Mention/$60 Prize (52 Points) *
* (72 points possible)
Achievement Award Winners:
2017 Capitaland Cup Contest Judges
Therese Broderick, Dave DeVries, Barbara Garro,
Jessica Rae, Bob Sharkey, Alifair Skeebe
Sat., Nov. 25, 2017 - Capitaland Cup (Day of Poet) at the William K. Sanford Library
- All work must be original. Contestants are not allowed to present poetry written by anyone other than themselves.
- Poets may recite their work from memory, or read from paper (or electronically).
- The contest will consist of two rounds of poetry by each contestant. *
- Poets may present up to four minutes of poetry in each round.
- The clock will begin as soon as the contestant begins to speak.
- During each four-minute round, contestants may present multiple pieces of poetry within the boundaries of the time allowed (4 minutes).
- Contestants will be penalized one point by each judge if they exceed the four minute time limit.
- At the four-minute mark, the time keeper will call out "four minutes." The contestant will be allowed an additional minute to finish before being asked to stop.
- The reading order of the contestants will be picked randomly just prior to the start of the contest.
- Contestants must formally register in advance (by email) or in person (the day of the event) before the reading order is established.
- Once the reading order has been established, no additional poets will be allowed to compete.
- The reading order of the contestants will remain the same for both rounds.
- The reading order will be publicly posted and it is the responsibility of each poet to be present for their respective turn to read. The contestant will lose their turn if they are not present to read when called.
- Each judge will score each contestant (each round) on a scale of 1 - 12 based on poetic quality, overall presentation, and adherence to the established time parameters.
- In the event of a tie, the following two "tiebreakers" will determine the final competition results:
1.) Contestants with the same total score will have their highest and lowest score dropped. The contestant with the best total score after subtracting their highest and lowest score will be placed above the remaining contestant(s) involved in the tiebreak.
2.) If after dropping the high and low score, the contestants remain tied, the final tiebreaker will be based on reading order. The contestant who reads first will be placed higher than the contestants (with the same score) who read after them.
(No additional rounds of poetry will be added to the competition).
- Use of "props" will not be allowed.
- Please consider that the event is taking place in a library and is open to all ages, so please refrain from using offensive language.
* Due to time constraints, if more than 19 poets participate, the contest will be limited to only one (four-minute) round rather than two rounds.
(Contest Champion) $225
(Honorable Mention) $115
(Honorable Mention) $60
The Capitaland Cup is up for grabs at the "Day of Poet" poetry contest on November 25, 2017 at the William K. Sanford (Town of Colonie) Library.
Dandra Dion Burnett (Bless)
Aron Ervin (Algorhythm)
* Note - Judges may move from one round to the other as needed. If there are more than 19 contestants and the contest is limited to just one round, all available judges will score the round. Additional judges may also be named in the event substitutions are needed.
Tarishi "MIDNIGHT" Shuler - Champion/$220 Prize (67 Points) *
Dianne Sefcik - Honorable Mention/$110 Prize (63 Points) *
Danielle Pouliot - Honorable Mention/$55 Prize (63 Points) *
Note - Poetyc Visionz and Jon Lloyd also scored 63 points which resulted in a four-way tie for 2nd prize. A tiebreaker was determined based on the reading order of the contestants (as was included/listed in the official contest rules).
* (84 points possible)
Achievement Award Winners:
Francesca J. Sidoti
Tricia LaRose Vicedomine
2016 Capitaland Cup Contest Judges
Miriam Axel-Lute, Therese Broderick, Thom Francis, Barbara Garro,
Timothy Lake, Bob Sharkey, Shannon Shoemaker
Tarishi "MIDNIGHT" Shuler - Champion/1st Prize - 9.57 average score (12 possible)
Dianne Sefcik - Honorable Mention/2nd Prize - 9.00 average score (12 possible)
Danielle Pouliot - Honorable Mention/3rd Prize - 9.00 average score (12 possible)
Tarishi "MIDNIGHT" Shuler - Champion/$200 Prize (79 Points) *
Avery Stempel - Honorable Mention/$100 Prize (76 Points) *
Howard Kogan - Honorable Mention/$50 Prize (74 Points) *
* (96 points possible)
Achievement Award Winners:
I - Hsin Wu
Zackery Geddies, Jr.
Luis "L-Majesty" Pabon
2015 Capitaland Cup Contest Judges
Therese Broderick, R.M. Engelhardt, Barbara Garro,
Roman Karpishka, Mary Panza, Bob Sharkey
Tarishi "MIDNIGHT" Shuler - Champion/1st Prize - 9.87 average score (12 possible)
Avery Stempel - Honorable Mention/2nd Prize - 9.5 average score (12 possible)
Howard Kogan - Honorable Mention/3rd Prize - 9.25 average score (12 possible)
Get ready for Girl Blue at the official Dorn Space grand opening on Friday, September 14, 2018!! You don't want to miss this momentous public opening. Proof in point, check out the video below filmed on 6/29 at a special Dorn Space VIP pre-opening (private invite only) event. Girl Blue on Friday, Sept. 14 will be a "first come - first served" event with tickets ($16) available only at the door (99 N. Main St., Gloversville) beginning at 7:30 pm.